深入研究. 找出事情是如何运作的. Explore the world around you, and become a better problem-solver in the process.
Scientific inquiry comes naturally to all children. That’s why we use our unique learning environment to foster students’ inquisitiveness and connect them to the world around them. By using both indoor classrooms and outdoor spaces as science laboratories, students are excited and engaged as they learn and explore.
Our curriculum is based on earth, life, space, and physical sciences. Through direct instruction and open and guided inquiry, students develop their abilities to analyze and reason. They question, observe, predict, experiment, draw conclusions, and reflect on their findings.
Science is a hands-on experience in pre-kindergarten, where we give our students every opportunity to explore and observe their environment. The classroom is set up to nurture children’s knowledge and sense of wonder, both about themselves and the world.
In pre-kindergarten, students may:
- Discover methods of scientific discovery
- Develop confidence to ask questions and make predictions
- Investigate with scientific tools
- Experience chemical science, including cooking and simple experiments
- Become aware of basic concepts in health, nutrition, and safety
- Study natural science, including the life cycles of animals and plants
- Demonstrate respect and care for living things and the environment
在幼儿园, we foster our students’ natural instinct to explore, building a positive way of thinking about science.
- 通过参与学习, hands-on experiments that encourage them to use their senses to observe outcomes
- Discover, identify, and experiment in our outdoor classrooms
Students in first grade use project-based learning, 基于技术的研究, 在笔记本上写日志, 以及互动课程.
- Describe, analyze, design, test, communicate, classify, and record
- Expand and enhance their background knowledge and enrich their skills in scientific reasoning
在二年级的水平, students are introduced to scientific inquiry and the scientific process, and they begin using their skills and tools to conduct simple scientific investigations.
- Conduct classroom and field investigations
- Develop their skills such as collecting information, using tools such as a microscope, 做出推论, 沟通的结论, 做出明智的决定
这个时候, students start to supplement their knowledge with skills, deepening their understanding of concepts by experimenting and applying the scientific method.
- 探索水的性质, 海洋学, 天气, 与生态, and examine the interdependence of these scientific issues
- Use a barometer and an anemometer to read 天气 maps
- Participate in a fossil hunt to explore the geological story of southwest Ohio
- Study the body’s respiratory system, 食物的化学, 恒星的生命周期, and efforts to explain the transfer of solar energy
The fourth-grade science curriculum focuses on the scientific process of investigation and analysis.
- Participate in opportunities that encourage critical thinking and reasoning through discussion, 实验, 和探索
- Enhance their creativity, communication, and collaboration
Fifth-grade science is built on the integration of science, technology, engineering, and math.
- Explore the natural world and make connections between core concepts and ideas
- Employ critical thinking to analyze how concepts are interrelated and to expand their scientific knowledge